It’s finally time for another Thirsty Thursday recipe! Sudan and I made these turkey burgers the other night and we both agreed that they were better than any we’d ever had in a restaurant. It probably would’ve been helpful if I had posted this recipe before the 4th of July, but I’m sure at least one of you will be grilling/barbecuing this weekend too. I know I am!
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for grilling
- 1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds ground dark turkey
- 3 tablespoons plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard (I used whole grain Dijon mustard. So good.)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I used my favorite Italian flat leaf parsley.)
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices sharp cheddar (8 ounces)
- 8 hamburger buns (I used whole grain thin buns. No need to weigh this healthy burger down with a bunch of bread.)
- Toppings, such as ketchup, mustard, tomato, and lettuce (optional)
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and saute until translucent, 6 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Transfer to a medium bowl and add turkey, breadcrumbs, mustard, and parsley. Gently mix until combined and form into 8 thin patties.
2. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Season patties with salt and pepper, then brush with oil. Grill, covered, until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side; during last minute of cooking, top each burger with cheese and cover grill. Serve burgers on buns with desired toppings.
3. Serve with a small mixed green salad and Alexia all-natural oven baked french fries. Delish.
*If you can’t see the video, refresh the page or watch it here.